I have been asked a few times, "Why Japan." Mssu offers a huge number of different sister schools and exchange programs, so why did I pick Japan?
The first reason is that I have loved Japan since I was a small child. There was a song called "Haru Ga Kita" (Spring is coming) that appeared on a Raffi tape when I was younger. I would always wake up when the tape was finishing to listen to this song, because the language seemed so amazing to me. As I grew older I grew to love Japanese more and more. I would beg to be allowed to learn the language, and always was told I had to learn more practical things first. When I was 13 I purchased a learn at home computer software that taught me about 100 words and a few greetings. It was one of the most amazing things ever to me. Then when I was 16 I was finally allowed to start taking Japanese class. I took classes until I was 18 and then I fell away for a while. Finally this last year I have come back to Japanese and been studying to my full potential. Going to Japan is just another step in learning Japanese.

The second reason for my going to Japan is what I want to do with my life. I want to learn about the different myths and legends that span Pan-Asia. I want to know where they started, how they spread, and what parts of culture they reference. Going to Japan will let me learn more about the culture, and get better at the language. Both of these are necessary if I want to pursue my ideas at a graduate level.

Finally the last reason is because I have to. To graduate from MSSU I need to go on a Bi-lateral exchange. This is because I am International Studies major. I love traveling so this really isn't a hardship. Actually one might say I chose the major because of this requirement.

So in closing, I chose Japan because I feel Japan is a key to my future, my present, and my past.

I hope to make many friends, have many new experiences, and share many things with all of you. So come on~ Let's go to Japan!

~The Gakusei J

Comments (0)