Leaving for Japan I get to do what I call the falling behind dance. I get to fall behind on entertainment news from the USA. Surprisingly all the other news makes it to me overseas, but I find it easier to escape the Kardashians, random 10 minute stars, and "must hear / see" tracks. It's a really interesting process.

Thinking about this makes me think about the reach of American Cultural Imperialism, and how in some places Asia has made a much bigger soft power push. It's a lot easier to be enculturated by other cultures and to lose to touch with USA culture than one would think. Here we are bombarded with pop culture on the street, in the car, even some places at schools serve us up a heavy dose. While overseas it is available, but you have to seek it out. I for one, like experiencing the other cultures I am going to be part of! I won't be seeking out these places until I feel homesick.

In this way, I am beginning the dance of falling behind. So when I come back, I will have to catch up, and that is completely okay. As a long time traveler and Ex-pat I'm used to this dance. Those of us who travel often fall behind in one world... but it's okay, because we live in more than one.

~ The Gakusei J

Comments (0)